The bells have stopped ringing. The metro stopped running, but M doesn’t know.
Drawing: Ink, Watercolor, Pencil on Paper. Early draft to a larger painting. Drawing and watercolor, 40 x 30 cm
Sketch, to the Painting M is for SILENCE. (Gammel Strand Metro)
A creation of a specific image or series of images, forming the whole or part of a composition intended to be completed by adding pigment color (paints, colored inks, etc). This denotes a completed stand-alone autonomous work.
Location: Christiansborg Palace Chapel is a part of the palace which is at the disposal of the Danish Monarch. It is used for religious ceremonies for members of the Danish Royal Family, most notably baptisms, confirmations, and official lying in state. It is also used by the Danish Parliament for the Church service in connection with the opening of parliament.
The history of Christiansborg Palace Chapel goes back to the first Christiansborg Palace, which was built by the contractor general Elias David Häusser from 1733-45. King Christian VI was keen on architecture, and he commissioned a talented young architect in the King’s building service, Nicolai Eigtved, to design the palace chapel (1738–42). Eigtved seized the opportunity and designed one of the most distinguished Rococo interiors in Denmark.
In 1794 fire ravaged the palace and it was decided to demolish the ruins completely. The demolition, however, never took place.
Architect Christian Frederik Hansen, who resurrected the palace between 1803–1828, was also commissioned to rebuild the palace chapel in 1810. Work commenced in 1813, using the existing foundations and masonry as far as possible.
The church and main palace were built in strict neo-classical style, with a dome construction on top of a central church interior. The palace chapel was inaugurated on Whit Sunday, 14 May 1826, to mark the 1,000 anniversary of the introduction of Christianity to Denmark.